Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mardi Gras for kids


I took a break from my usual evening of watching online clips of The Daily Show and other online time wasters, to participate in everyone's favorite holiday, Halloween. No, that's not a picture of my front yard. That would be a neighbor's fine handy work.

As it turns out, my neighborhood of West Asheville is a very popular spot for trick-or-treaters. "It's like Marti Gras," a neighbor told me. Well, I don't think that neighbor has ever been to Marti Gras because it certainly wasn't anything like that. I didn't see a single kid who was falling down drunk or flashing people to get candy. But it was pretty busy. There were hundreds of kids all along the main street that runs down my neighborhood just in the 5 minutes that I spent over there. Apparently, the people who live on that street spend as much as $300 on candy to hand out. (I know it's hard to see, but that picture is a line of children at a neighbor's door. Click it for a bigger version.)

I live just 1 block west of that street, and most of the kids don't bother walking that far out of their way. So I got about 40 trick-or-treaters and didn't even go through all of my first bag of candy - gum that looks like eyeballs. They were a big hit with the kids.

Raw recipe of the week - BBQ Chicken Fingers


These were quite delicious! We had our very first house guest yesterday, and she was mighty impressed with them too. The recipe is from Alissa Cohen's Living On Live Food.



Ingredients: Sprouted lentils, carrots, orange juice, onion, olive oil, agave nectar, curry, vegetable seasoning, Celtic sea salt. Blended in the food processor and dehydrated at 105 degrees for about 16 hours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had gotten as many trick or treaters as those guys did. I didn't spend $300 on candy, but I probably did spend $35 or $45. I ended up with about half left over. Still, I got more kids than my old neighborhood.

Aunt Kathie said...

I enjoyed Halloween here in Hancock too. I think I got about 75 kids. Had friends over who helped me hand out goodies. It's nice to feel like there's some good old (young?) innocence left in these dark days. (God, don't I sound like the Angel of Death or something! Just reading too much political news, I guess.) Anyway, eyeball gum sounds cool.

I Love You,
Aunt Kathie

eleventh hour said...

LOL! I love your blog. My idea of preparing food is dumping a can of mushroom soup on a very large hunk of cow flesh and putting it in the oven until it forgets it was ever organic matter...Your beautiful pictures and recipes make me at least *aware* that there are other ways. I hope you find a way to make money that doesn't kill you. Your soul is too good to lose.

Diana said...

What a very kind thing to say. Thank you so much. And I'm very glad you enjoy seeing my weird weekly creations. I certainly enjoy making them - even the disasters.

Serge said...

Those graves would surely be a hit if ever kids with zombie costumes stay there for a while.