Friday, December 21, 2007

Addicted to Greens+ chocolate energy bars


They remind me of 3 Muskateers bars. Except rather than consisting of pure crap, each Greens+ energy bar contains 5 grams of fiber, 8 grams of protein, and lots of other vitamins and minerals. They are free from sugar, genetically modified ingredients, partially hydrogenated oils, and they are alkaline-forming (rather than acid-forming, which encourages disease). This is a very healthy snack by most standards. But it's still a candy bar, and I cannot stop eating them. I've been inhaling them for several weeks now.

I ate 3 just today. The only reason I didn't eat more is that I only bought 3. I usually get 3 at a time, thinking that I'll eat 2 and save the last one for the next day. I don't think that 3rd bar has ever lasted for more than 2 hours. Earlier this week, I made a special trip out just to pick some up. I bought an extra one to send to my sister with her Christmas gifts, but then I ate it. So I had to make another trip the next day to get her another one. I picked up 2 more for myself as well.

Against my better judgment, I eat them close to bedtime, when I know the chocolate will keep me up. I eat them when I am already full. I eat them even after the first two seem to have given me a headache.

Over the last few years, my diet has become increasingly healthy. In fact, I don't even crave most of the comfort foods that used to suck me in. Just today, I looked at a tofu pot pie and some vegan cheesecake, and it didn't appeal to me at all. But I ate 2 Greens+ bars before I even made it home, and ate the 3rd one shortly after. I am totally out of control.

Greens+ is not paying me to write this post. Maybe they should though.

3 comments:

Linda Murphy said...

I did a double take when I saw the candy wrapper photo....not Diana! But, if you are going to splurge, Greens sound like the way to go. I wonder if my boys would like them....

Hey, I just realized that Tom's aunt lived in Asheville for many, many years before moving out here to AZ. She mentioned it tonight and I thought of you. She loved it there, but her family is out here now.

Have a very happy and merry Christmas Eve and Christmas! Your nephew is sound asleep at my house-we love having him come over and hang with us. He is one great little boy!

Anonymous said...

Haha! That photo could be from my desk :) I'm totally addicted to Greens+ Chocolate energy bars, too. I eat them breakfast, lunch, dinner - whenever I have them around. A box does not last long! The cheapest I have been able to find them is for $2.30 at Trader Joe's. Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

You should all read the comments/reviews on the Greens+ site... it may change some minds about eating these in such quantity. http://www.greensplus.com/reviews.php