Monday, February 18, 2008

2 Dogs are sometimes better than 1


I'm a cat person. I can't help that. Maybe it was my upbringing. Maybe it's my laziness (possibly also a result of my upbringing). Dogs are just a lot of work. They need a lot of attention.

I'm currently dog sitting a little hyper 1-year-old chihuahua mix named Jackson. Jackson is used to getting 3 or 4 walks EVERY DAY! My dog, Emmet, is lucky if he gets a walk once a week.

I thought that this would be a huge undertaking for me. In some ways, it is - Jackson has chewed apart a cat bed, muddied the floor, and pooped in the house a couple of times. He's also annoying the cats and barked maniacally all weekend long.

But there is a silver lining. He and Emmet are entertaining each other, so I don't have to. Perhaps Jackson has gotten used to all the noises of the neighborhood because he has barely barked at all today. The dogs have been so busy with each other and so quiet that I've had to check on them a couple of times to make sure they didn't escape the yard. Nope, still here.


I should give Jackson some credit for being a very well-behaved little dog. He always sits and stays when he is told to and he is pretty good at following the house rules. The picture above is Emmet and Jackson waiting very patiently for the cats to finish their dinner before diving into the kitchen to lick their bowls.

Jackson is also making me appreciate what a quiet, mellow, easy-going dog I have in Emmet.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Every time I curse myself for getting 2 dogs, I remember how much they entertain each other so I don't have to. They are cute!

Anonymous said...

Emmett is a very cute dog! We have a Pug (named Yoda), which is the laziest breed on the planet. Occaisonally we dogsit a Shih Tzu that's pretty well behaved... but is still a rambunctious young pup. This entertains Yoda for about 10 mins, and then he starts ignoring the Shih Tzu. After an hour, he usually starts looking at us and sighing, as though he's saying, "Could you do something about that dog?" But it does make us appreciate how nice it is to have a dog that likes to nap 20 hours a day.

Raven said...

Looks like two sweet puppies. I wish somebody would entertain the Angel kitty. She has been at her naughtiest this week. Yesterday morning I looked over from my desk to see one of the paintings on the wall swinging wildly back and forth while Angel sat attentively ready to give it another shove. Maybe Angel is part dog...

I Love You,
Aunt Kathie

Linda Murphy said...

Those are very cute pups! Again, I just love the name Emmet-great choice.

You know, that theory works for kids too. They can (but not always) keep each other occupied and happy.

Diana said...

Brandon, I know exactly the look you are referring to. Emmet gave me that look a couple of times, particularly late in the evening when he just wanted to lay in his bed but the crazy chihuahua was jumping around and barking at him. I cannot imagine a better name for a pug than Yoda, by the way.

Strangely, about 30 minutes after I posted this blog, my friend's boyfriend called saying he wanted to take Jackson for a couple of days. So now I'm back down to just the one dog until tomorrow, probably.

Anonymous said...

I'll always be a cat person. Every once in a blue moon I think about what it'd be like to get a big dog. But soon enough I see someone having their life run by the dog and I get over it.
I don't think I'd ever be able to put up with the dedication required for having dogs unless I had a farm of at least 20 acres.