Thursday, June 14, 2007

Better than no bus at all



For such a small city, Asheville seems to offer most of the best stuff you would find in the big urban centers: art, music, festivals, restaurants, museums, architecture, etc. But there are certain things you give up when you move up into a little mountain town.

Like great public transit, for instance. Don't get me wrong - the bus system here is usable, and I plan to keep using it to get to work. But Seattle's complex and convenient transit system spoiled me.

Unless you live or work right downtown (which I don't), it takes two buses to get anywhere in this city. Many routes only run every hour. And they all seem to meet downtown at the same exact time, so if your first bus is a little late, you are totally screwed.

As far as I can tell, the bus seems to be filled with people who are too broke, high, or batshit crazy to drive a car, with a few hard-core yuppie environmentalists sprinkled in.

I never understood why some people complained about the Seattle bus system, until today, when a guy from Charlotte was raving about how convenient the Asheville busses are. Apparently, in Charlotte, in took him 3 busses and 2 hours to get to work every day, and they only ran through his particular neighborhood at 7AM and 5PM. I suppose it's all relative.

Raw food dish of the week - Chocolate Pudding

This was completely inedible. I dumped it in the bushes.



Ingredients: Almonds, water, cacao powder, agave nectar, black tahini, blended in a Vita-Mix blender.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Maybe a scooter purchase is in order?