Friday, June 22, 2007

Living out of boxes



I've been in Asheville for 3 weeks, in my temporary rental house. In another 3 weeks, I'll be moving into my very own home. What I'm looking forward to most is unpacking these damn boxes.

If I had any strategy at all to packing, it was to fit as much as possible into each box - fitting random items from different areas of my apartment into little nooks and crannies like a jigsaw puzzle. What I failed to keep in mind, was that I would have to live out of these randomly packed boxes for several weeks.

I didn't label anything. I would have had to list nearly every item individually on each box in order to do so, since nothing is packed according to any category. It's more like, "things that are soft and squishy are on the edges of that big box, while things that are fragile are in the middle of it." Or, "whatever I was still using the day I left is in one of these 3 boxes.

In order to find anything, I have to unstack and dig through several boxes and then put them all back as they were. There's not enough space to spread them out, and it seems like a total waste of effort to unpack them all, when I know I'll have to turn around and repack them.

At least I know that I did a great job of getting rid of everything non-essential before I left. Because I have dug through these boxes for just about every damn thing in them.

Raw food dish of the week - Breakfast Cereal

Pretty darn good. Next time, I'll spread the batter out thinner on the dehydrator trays so that it makes crispier flakes.



Cereal: Sprouted buckwheat, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, dried apricots, vanilla, agave nectar, chopped, mixed, and dehydrated at 105 degrees for 24 hours.

Milk: Almonds, water, dates, and vanilla, blended in a Vitamix and strained through a nut-milk bag.

No comments: