Friday, January 11, 2008

My surreal life as a "good Republican"

I decided a while back to try to become a Republican delegate for Ron Paul. After all, it isn't the general public that ultimately nominates the party candidates, it is delegates at a national convention. In order to become a delegate, I need to get involved with the local Republican party so that people get to know me, and see that I am a "good Republican," and then vote for me. Don't ask me the specifics on how this all really works. I still don't know.

Tonight, I decided to attend a meeting of the Republican Women's Club to start getting to know people. I think it may be one of the weirdest things I've ever done. First, I should say that these ladies were all very nice and welcoming and were very happy I was there.

I walked into the meeting room and saw a large table of about 20 older ladies, dressed in blazers and decorative scarves. I thought to myself "Wow, I really don't fit in here." They looked at me as if they thought I must be lost. But I told them I was looking for the Republican Women's Club and they were thrilled to have me.

Many items were on the agenda, which began with a prayer for the troops and the Pledge of Allegiance. Most notable were the Lynn Cheney book signing and the Lincoln-Reagan Republican fund raising dinner. I signed up to help stuff envelopes for the dinner.

In related news, independent of this particular meeting, I have also volunteered to help with a Republican Congressional debate, and am now a "Precinct Chairman." I'm not entirely sure what that entails, but I know I get to attend some big monthly meeting.

In case anyone out there ever placed a bet that I would never be an active member of the Republican party - it's time to pay up.

2 comments:

Aunt Kathie said...

And even though Aunt Kathie loves you and knows you are still the same wonderful person, she weeps.... a Republican.... a Republican... when she could have been voting for Dennis Kucinich.... ah the cruelty of life...

I Love You,
Aunt Kathie

Cindy said...

I am really glad I didn't bet money. I would owe you a lot of euros. Go Ron Paul!!