Friday, January 12, 2007

Learning to draw

I have my beloved iBook back and the wonderful people at the Seattle Mac Store even recovered most of my data, which makes me not even mind their dreadful customer service. They weren't the ones having to suffer through using the ancient computers at the neighborhood library so I guess they didn't see the urgency. What's important is that I have it back and I can now rejoin the human race.

Of other significance is that I have finally gotten used to the idea that it's OK to not be working. I spent the first couple of weeks of my unemployment looking for part-time jobs, thinking I should really bring in some money. The fact that the Seattle Mac Store had my computer for so long is probably largly responsible for this shift in thinking since I was unable to look or apply for jobs without a decent computer and my resumes. Thanks again, Seattle Mac Store, for helping me to realize that I deserve a little vacation time after eight long years of soul-sucking software work.

So what to do instead? I decided to go to the art supply store, which happens to be right next to the Seattle Mac Store, to look for inspiration. And I found some! There on the shelf was a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards. Three people in the same week recommended this book to me, all saying that if I really want to learn how to draw, I should take a class and not read any of the drawing books out there, unless it's this one. So I picked up a copy along with all the required materials I will need to complete the lessons.

So far, I have only done the preliminary pre-course self-portrait. I had no intention of ever letting anyone see it but actually it's not too bad for a girl with absolutely no artistic training and no experience drawing anything better than cartoon-like pictures. Expect more (and hopefully better) drawings to follow.

My dad called the other day to ask what I was up to now that I am a "woman of leisure". I said I was learning how to draw and he responded, in a slightly disapproving tone, "What, you're gonna be an artist now?" No, Dad, it just sounded like fun.

Raw food dish of the week - Broccoli with Cheese and Spicey Jicama Fries

This tasted ok. Not terrific.



Cheese sauce: pine nuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, red bell pepper, lemon juice, Celtic sea salt.
Poured over cut broccoli and dehydrated at 105 degrees for 5-6 hours.

Spicey Jicama Fries: Jicama marinated in olive oil, agave nectar, Celtic sea salt, cayenne, and chili powder.

No comments: