Saturday, January 6, 2007

My first (successful) fast

I tried to fast for 24 hours once, my first year in college. I made it only to hour 21 before I caved in and ate something. I felt like I was dying. I guess the cleansing reaction from fasting is pretty severe when the main staples of your diet are ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese.

So I was nervous when I started another 1 day fast yesterday, per my new year's resolution #2. But it really wasn't bad at all. I'm sure my body has way fewer toxins to rid itself of these days. I've been vegan now for 12 years, mostly off sugar and processed foods for about 2 years, and mostly raw for about a year.

In the morning, I felt great. Spacey, but in a good way. I had big ambitions for the day, but pooped out at 3pm and decided to just stay at home. By 4:30 I felt my first, and only, stomach growl. And by 6pm I was bored out of my skull.

Food is such a big part of what occupies my day, as it turns out. I love to eat. I wasn't feeling that hungry, I just wanted something to do. My iBook is still in the repair shop so I didn't even have the internet to fall back on.

I decided to pass the time by reading Eating for Beauty, by David Wolfe. Very interesting book about raw food nutrition, but perhaps a poor choice, since it talks about the most delicious, nutritious, energizing foods on the planet.

Per new year's resolution #1, I also decided to pass the time by starting on my first weekly new raw food dish. Not a great activity for one who is trying to abstain from eating.

I was determined to not eat until breakfast, which I arbitrarily decided could come no earlier than 6am. But when I was awake at 2:45 and feeling a bit queasy, I gave in. Screw it, I would eat at 3am. I just had to wait 15 minutes. I kept checking the clock, checking the clock. Finally, only one minute to go.

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up again and it was 6:30. I wasn't even hungry anymore, but I got up anyway and ate a couple of oranges. Best damn oranges I ever had. Then I finished making the crepes. Fan-freaking-tastic crepes.

Raw food dish of the week - Crepes

Wrapper: bananas, blended and dehydrated
Filling: macadamia nuts, walnuts, lemon juice, agave nectar, and salt, blended
Sauce: strawberries and agave nectar, blended


No comments: