Friday, January 19, 2007

Make me bendy

A big problem with being unemployed is finding the motivation to get up at a consistent hour or leave the house on a regular basis. I've been getting out of bed anywhere from 6:30 AM to 11:30 AM. And I've gone days without talking to anyone other than my cats and my dog. They are better for conversation than you might expect.

That all changed last weekend when I won a 1-month unlimited yoga studio membership in a silent auction. The studio is only blocks from my house and offers several classes a day to choose from.

My first yoga class was Hatha Yoga, which is focused more on stretching and relaxation. The instructor asked if any of us had any "issues" we wanted to work on. I told her that I have eight years of hunching over at a computer to work out of my body. The two women on either side of me nodded in understanding. On almost every pose the instructor corrected me by pushing my shoulders down and out of their high-tech hunchback position.

My second yoga class was Power Yoga. It was awesomely painful. I was holding myself up in positions I didn't know were possible. Some weren't. Again, the instructor kept coming over and pushing my shoulders down. I wonder how long it will take to undo my computer posture.

Power Yoga kicked my ass so hard that I had to skip yoga yesterday. Everything hurt. Even my ribs were sore. They still are actually, but I'm going back today anyway. I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of this membership.

The only downside to daily yoga is that it seems to break up my day in ways that often prevent me from getting things done. I'm hoping that I just need to readjust to the new schedule.

The major upside is that now when I think about caving in and looking for some high-tech contract work, I immediately decide against it because it will interfere with yoga. Yeah, life is pretty good.

Raw food dish of the week - Enchiladas

This dish was so good and very easy to make. A bit time consuming though because I had to keep checking on the tortillas.
You may notice that the enchilada pictured is rather short and fat, rather than long and thin. I rolled it in the wrong direction. By the time I realized my foolish error, it was too late to fix it.

Corn tortilla: frozen corn, ground flax seeds, fresh orange juice, Celtic sea salt, and garlic, blended in a food processor and dehydrated at 105 degrees.

Filling: spinach, shitake mushrooms, zucchini, red pepper, and onions marinated in olive oil, Celtic sea salt, and chili powder.

No comments: