Saturday, April 14, 2007

Binge eating


At the beginning of the year, I committed to 3 months of 100% raw food. The timing was great because the 3 months happened to end during a 9-day raw food retreat in Peru. I figured by the time I left Peru, I would be more inspired than ever to stay raw.

What actually followed was 2 weeks of binge eating the worst food I have eaten in years. What made this even worse was the fact that after eating a very healthy diet for well over a year, my terrible gluten-intolerance is no longer effecting me enough to prevent me from eating all the donuts, pie, cookies, bread, and other processed pure garbage that I've had to avoid for the past couple of years.

Yesterday, I ate an entire package of 12 mini-donuts in about 15 minutes. That's when I realized it was really time to stop. Of course that didn't keep me from eating a coconut frosted vanilla cupcake that same evening. OK, that's when I decided it was time to stop. For real this time.

But I know myself well enough to know that saying I will do anything 100% forever is just not going to work. So the new plan is, I am going to eat all raw food 6 days a week. I get one day of the week to eat anything I want. Maybe at some point I'll change that to one day a month and then one day per quarter.

Right now, all I can think about is that tomorrow is the start of a new week. Mmmmm.....donuts.....

Raw food dish of the week - Veggie Burgers
These burgers were so freaking awesome. But they were best on their own or with a little of the BBQ sauce or avocado on top. The rest of the fixins didn't add much.



Burger: almonds, sunflower seeds, celery, beets, carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper, parsley, basil, lemon juice, Celtic sea salt, flax oil

BBQ sauce: onion, dates, figs, sundried tomatoes, tomato

Fixins: tomato, red bell pepper, cucumber, onion, avocado, on a red leaf lettuce "bun"

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Ok, this one made my day. I was laughing so hard picturing you eating the donuts. Sometimes you need to just eat the donuts.

Raj said...

I admire your binge in it's lack of scope. If I were to go on an eating binge, I'd probably eat a lot more than a 12 pack of donuts and a cupcake. Even in your moment of weakness you are stronger than me!

Diana said...

I appreciate your admiration, Raj. But I actually ate much more than just the donuts and the cupcake. That whole day (and I think the day before) I ate nothing but cookies, pastries, and other sweet delicious glutony treats. The donuts and the cupcake were just the final straw for me. But you're right, even all that was probably more healthy than the typical American diet.